The DA in the Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality is gravely concerned that none of the National Intervention team members has attended the last section 80 committee meeting for Public Safety and Transport. The National Intervention team is responsible for identifying challenges and proposing solutions to ensure uninterrupted basic services, public safety and prudent financial management. Their absence is unacceptable as this was only the second meeting held since the Local Government Election in 2021.
The DA raised concerns received from the public which include;
- traffic laws not being enforced,
- lack of maintenance on traffic infrastructure,
- no response to sewerage incidents, burst pipes, potholes,
- open holes left after the maintenance of burst pipes,
- crumbling storm water infrastructure,
- open manholes due to cover theft,
- and exposed electricity cables after Centlec maintenance
During the meeting, the Committee Chairperson, Tebogo Mogotloane, and Head of Law Enforcement, Brigadier Israel Kgamanyane, did not discuss and simply noted any solutions for the problems identified by the DA.
The tabled items included;
- A request to change the uniform gear for Mangaung Metro Law Enforcement unit personnel,
- A request for the establishment of a community safety forum.
- The performance report of the Member of the Mayor Committee (MMC) Tebogo Mogotloane.
The Intervention team’s absence ensures that no solutions will be implemented. The DA has written to the Acting City Manager, Tebogo Motlashuping, for an urgent meeting to discuss public safety concerns and get solutions to the problems raised. The DA prioritises public safety because a metro cannot thrive if its residents feel unsafe.